Z's newest favorite activity is baking muffins and she has been asking me on a regular basis to bake muffins with her and how can I say no to her sweet little smile? Well, a couple of times now I've found myself with no muffin mix and no recipe to use. So, I've combined the best of a bunch of recipes I've found online and finally tweaked everything to my liking. I use a crumb topping on top of the muffins but they taste amazing without the topping as well. I added the crumb topping recipe below as well if you want to use it!
Muffin (makes about 16)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light-brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 package chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease twelve muffin cups or use baking liners.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
4. In another bowl, stir together milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla until blended.
5. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
6. Add milk mixture and stir just to combine.
7. Stir in chocolate chips.
8. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. *This is the time you would add the crumb topping if you choose to.
9. Now bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.
10. Leave muffins in tin for 5 minutes to finish cooking before removing to cool on wire rack.
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose sugar
1/4 cup butter, diced
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Mix in butter with a fork or stand mixer just until the topping is crumbly. Top your muffins before baking.